Funding Sources and Solutions to Address Abandoned Mine Drainage Pollution

Abandoned Mine Drainage (also called Acid Mine Drainage or AMD) is a major pollutant to surface water (water that collects on or runs across the ground) in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States. AMD is caused when water flows over or through past mined areas, increasing the water’s acidity. This increases the dissolving of metals into the water which can harm fish and other wildlife in and around our streams, lakes and rivers.  AMD comes mainly from abandoned coal mines.

Is AMD impacting your Pennsylvania neighborhood?

See the below list of funding resources which can help you address AMD pollution in your communities:

Abandoned Mine Drainage Abatement and Treatment Grants Program

This grant program is overseen by the Commonwealth Financing Authority (CFA) for the reduction and treatment of abandoned mine drainage. Eligible applicants include municipalities, councils of governments, institutions of higher education, watershed organizations and for-profit businesses. Learn more by visiting

Growing Greener Grant Program

The purpose of the state-funded Growing Greener Grant Program is to implement local, watershed-based planning, restoration and protection efforts to improve the quality of Pennsylvania’s water resources. Learn more about eligibility, the yearly grant round and submission requirements for these grants, at

Section 319 NPS Grant Program

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection receives Section 319 Nonpoint Source grants from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency yearly to implement the state’s approved Nonpoint Source Management Program. Eligible applicants include groups such as: incorporated watershed association; county or municipality; county conservation district; and Council of Governments. For more information about this funding, visit

Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA) Set-Aside Program

This program supports efforts to eliminate AMD or treat AMD using constructed treatment systems. Grants under this program may be awarded for treatment system design or operation and maintenance of existing passive and active treatment systems. Projects must be located in Qualified Hydrologic Units as defined by the federal SMCRA under the 2006 re-authorization. Eligible applicants include counties, municipalities, authorities, school districts, nonprofits and conservation districts. Learn more about this funding at .

Watershed Cooperative Agreement

The Watershed Cooperative Agreement Program makes funds available for reclamation projects to clean streams affected by AMD. Eligible applicants include nonprofit organizations, especially small local watershed organizations. Applicants normally receive up to $100,000 for each reclamation project, primarily for project construction. Learn more about this funding opportunity at